Proper contact lens care is vital for your eye health. The best way to avoid infection is to follow your eye doctor's care instructions. The following are some suggestions your eye doctor will likely recommend.
- Wash, rinse, and dry hands thoroughly before handling contact lenses.
- Use soap that is free of oils, lotions, or perfumes.
- Dry hands with a lint-free towel.
- Use fingertips to handle contact lens (not fingernails and/or sharp objects like tweezers).
- Check to ensure the contact lens is moist, clean, and damage free before attempting to insert in your eye. Never put a damaged contact lens in your eye.
How to care for contact lenses is dependent on the type of contact lenses and solution recommended by your eye care professional. In addition to these tips, be sure to follow your eye care professional’s directions and package insert instructions for a successful, comfortable contact lens experience. Contact lenses should be replaced according to the schedule provided by your eye care professional. Additionally, always remember to use fresh solution when caring for your contact lenses.